Friday, August 1, 2014

Happy Birthday, book lover! (and my update on my crafty goals for July)

Hey everyone...shortly after school starts, our media center coordinator at school (what was known as a school librarian when I was a kid) will celebrate her birthday.  She's a phenomenal asset to our school and I credit her with helping foster my son's love of reading.  She has always taken a special interest in my kiddo and has often gone above and beyond to be helpful towards him and our whole family.  I wanted to maker her a special card to acknowledge her special day:


Materials used:
Cardstock: SU
Patterned paper: Out of the Blue by MME Lime Twist
Sentiment: Mega Mixed Messages by PTI
Image stamp: Hedgie Reading Books by SP&Company
Copic Markers
Cateye Chalk Ink

So....for July here's a rundown of my crafty goals:

Create More:  I made 15 shirts, 10 layouts, four cards, one necklace and two "other" types of things. I am happy with this amount of output.  Many of my layouts were pocket scrapbooking, which is totally new to me.  I'm struggling a bit, but giving it a good try.

Spend less:  I spent some $$ in July.  I picked up a pocket scrapbooking "kit" at my LSS.  It wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but I got it anyway.  I'm having buyer's remorse.  I should have looked online for exactly what I had in mind.  I also bought some supplies today to try my hand at glitter ornaments.  $20 in glitter seems ridiculous.   I think what is happening is the longer I've gone without spending money on craft supplies regularly, the harder it is getting for me to do that.  It's weird...I'm sitting on about $200 that I've allocated for new stamps and cardstock and I have yet to see a stamp set that has caught my eye.  Any suggestions?  I really need some sympathy stamps, if that helps!

Be "PRESENT":  I think I'm doing pretty well with this.  There's times I've put off doing some cleaning project or something else I "should" be doing just to sit on the porch and talk to my husband.  Or to feed the fish in the pond with my son.  Or to attempt to put the world's most frustrating puzzle together as a family.  Or to ride our bikes....you get the idea.  I'm trying to be more fluid about just going with whatever is happening at the moment.  That will likely work for the next six days, until school starts again and the routine of that becomes second nature.  OH!  And I took some classes at our local bead store.  I went all by myself and had a really good time.  The projects were cute and I look forward to making some fun things for myself and to give as gifts.

What do I want to do in August?  Keep scrapbooking.  I'm enjoying it again.  As much as I struggle with pocket scrapbooking, I do love a challenge and I'm glad it's re-energized me to get some layouts done.  Also, I want to create some things out of supplies that are in my room (jars that need personalized, frames that need something in them, etc). What's the point of storing all that stuff?!  And lunch with friends....I really need to catch up with my girls.  I've missed my mom-friends this summer.  Time to have some lunches out again!

I hope you have a fantastic day!



1 comment:

Karon said...

Wonderful post. I love the card, great image and paper. Our Daily Bread Designs have some wonderful sympathy stsmp. Heres a link.

https://www.ourdailybreaddesigns.com/index.php/stamps/sympathy.html

Hope you have a wonderful weekend.